Sunday, September 14, 2008

Vibha's Dream Mile 10K

Wow!! I finished first in overall male category, what a feeling! I have never dreamed of finishing first in any race, even the small local races. Okay, this is a small race with only about 30-40 people in 10K, but still, first is first, right :)

About 10 of Team Asha runners participated in Vibha's 10th Annual Dream Mile 5K/10K race at Whiterock Lake. After spending some 10 minutes trying to find a way to reach start point, I saw a fellow Asha member and finally reached the start. I actually wanted to warm up for about 2-3 miles, but I was actually happy to reach the start line before the race started. My goal was not to run faster than 8:00 pace. The start felt fast and my first mile of 7:22 confirmed it. I tried to slow down a little, but boy it is tough to slow down with all the adrenaline of a race. I was running in good rhythm and miles 2 and 3 were about 7:40 pace. I realized that I was currently second to a lady few seconds ahead of me at the turn point. I had a feeling that if I finish strong, I can even pass that lady, but at the same time I did not want to push too much and remember that this is part of training for a marathon. I still maintained my 7:40 pace for miles 4 and 5, but it was getting tougher and my heart rate was creeping up slowly. In the last mile I have decided not to really sprint and just run my pace. As I approach the finish line, I again could not help but sprint and I almost passed the other lady, but just managed to finish right behind her for overall second position. Wow! and my stop watch read 47:16 and that a PR by a few minutes. Sravanthi ran the 5K in 43:00, he first race and she looked great after the finish. She was very happy to have run a good race herself and more happy for my finish. My HR stats for the race are here.
Vibha did a great job in conducting the race and I got a 1-hr free "Discovery" flight ride over Dallas with Indus Aviation.

No comments: