Friday, July 25, 2008

Big-D 5K: First race of 2008


This is the race that got us all started with Team Asha Dallas. Last year on April 1st, ~15 of us trained and ran 5K/Half at Big-D race along with a bunch of Asha Austin runners. People were excited after this run and they never looked back. To keep the tradition going ~10 of us ran 5K on April 6th.
Luckily this year there was no traffic and we all were able to reach the start in time. I have never raced a 5K before and I wanted to give it all and see how fast can i go. I have warmed up well for about 10mins and was ready to start. I started off the first mile pretty strong and soon realized that I did a 7:11 min pace. I was happy about the pace but also worried that I will not be able to keep the pace as it felt hard. I managed to do the second mile in 7:24 but had to slow down to 7:40 for the third and ended up with 22:58 for 5K. I was really happy with the time, given that I hardly trained for a time.
It was nice to see newbies finish 5K in style including my good friend Sreenivas. He was not sure if he would finish this distance and now after 2 months he already ran 9 miles. he is currently training for half marathon. There were several new runners Sri, Laxmi, Divi apart from Sreenivas.

No comments: